Turmeric Detox Broth – Soup
|Prep / Cook / Total||10/ 15 / 25min|
|Recipe type||Vegan & Gluten Free Optional|
- 1-2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated or finely minced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, grated or finely minced
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ¾ – 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups veggie or chicken stock
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1-3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar – or lime or lemon juice (to taste)
- Garnish with fresh herbs: coriander, chives, mint, or dill and serve with lime
- Other veggie options: carrots, celery, fennel, cauliflower, tomatoes, bell pepper, sweet potatoes, greens
- In a large heavy bottom pot, sauté onion in 1-2 T olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ginger. Lower heat to medium low and sauté 5 minutes until it begins to brown, stirring often.
- Add garlic, sauté 2 minutes. Add all the spices and cook 1 more minute.
- Add water, stock, and salt.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add vinegar or citrus.
- Adjust salt, acid, and spice level to your liking. At this point you will have a flavourful base to add what you like. You can also refrigerate or freeze this in batches for later use.
- Remember uncooked pasta and beans will double or triple in size, so add moderately.
- Remember to think and be sensible about cooking times for each ingredient you add.
Optional Soup Variations:
Middle Eastern “Minestrone”
- ½ cup dry basmati rice or pasta, quinoa
- ½ cup dry lentils
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes
The Three C’s Noodle Soup
- 1-2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1-2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 100g dry noodles
If you are cooking the broth for any length of time, uncovered, remember it will reduce –intensifying the flavour and salt –so you will need to add more water, or it may be too salty. So be sure to dilute the broth to your taste.
Using ground turmeric gives the soup this lighter golden colour you see in the photographs. Fresh grated turmeric gives the broth a deeper colour.