Halloumi Salad with Turmeric
|Prep / Cook / Total||10 / 5 / 15min|
|Serves||1 – 2|
Ingredientsfor the tahini-turmeric dressing
- 60 ml (¼ cup) tahini
- 3½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper powder
- Freshly ground white pepper
for the salad
- 150 g young turnip greens
- 120 g cucumber, with skin on, thinly sliced
- Half red onion, very thinly sliced
- 250 g halloumi cheese
- A handful of toasted sesame seeds
– for the tahini-turmeric dressing
- Add the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, turmeric, cayenne, a little salt and white pepper in a small bowl and mix well using a wire whisk. Taste and add more salt if needed.
– for the salad
- Cut the halloumi into medium-thick slices and lightly oil them on both sides with olive oil. Heat a skillet or non-stick pan on medium heat and add the slices in one layer. Cook them for about 3 minutes on either side until golden.
- Rinse well the turnip greens under cold running water, cut off the roots and drain in paper towels. In a large bowl, mix the turnip greens, cucumber and onion. Arrange on a plate and add the halloumi. Drizzle generously with the dressing and finish with the sesame seeds.
Serve immediately with fresh bread.
- You can keep the tahini-turmeric dressing in the fridge for a couple of days. It will thicken in the fridge so leave it out on the counter for half an hour before you want to use it.
- Also, the dressing may split. It is only natural because it contains tahini, which always splits. Don’t worry about it, just give it a good whisk before using.